Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Mac n Cheese


You know what I love about homemade mac n cheese?  It's so easy.  You make it once and you're an expert.  Okay, maybe I'm not an expert... but I decided I could make up my own recipe since this was the second time I did it.  Okay, okay, maybe I didn't make up my own recipe either.  But I kinda used the amount I wanted to use of ingredients instead of the amount this recipe told me to.  I recommend way more cheese than most recipes will tell you.  That's how we like it anyway. :)

My mac n cheese make-it-up-as-you-go recipe:
• 1/4 cup butter
• 2 Tbsp. flour
• 1 cup milk
• 6 oz. velveeta
• 1 cup cheddar cheese
• 1/2 box macaroni
• bread crumbs (I used bread crumbs - you should definitely use crushed crackers though)

Melt butter.  Add milk, flour, and cheeses and melt together.  Cook pasta and mix together with melted cheese mixture in a pot.  Crush 6-8 Ritz crackers and mix with 1 Tbsp. melted butter.  Move macaroni to an oven safe dish and cover with cracker crumbs.  Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until heated through.



Or you could not heat it in the oven with the crackers.  It'd probably be just as good.

But seriously, don't use bread crumbs.  Especially when you're like me and you have crackers and are just too lazy to crush them.  It's really worth it to use crackers.  (I did the first time I made homemade mac n cheese)

No comments:

Post a Comment