Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Honey Wheat Bread

This bread came with minimal instructions.  It also said at the bottom of the recipe:  "This recipe was provided by professional chefs, and therefore may be difficult to reproduce in the home."
I took that as a challenge.  


The recipe can be found here, at the foodnetwork.com.

I think that Nick prefers another wheat bread recipe that one of his cousins gave me and I made in the Fall.  I can't tell which I like better when I'm not taste testing them at the same time.  This one is a little wheatier, in taste and in the amount of wheat flour vs. white flour.  My goal was to find a good recipe with a lot of wheat flour.

This is how I made the bread... I halved most of the original recipe, but kept the honey and brown sugar the same.  It made one loaf.  I like this bread and would definitely make it again... but also want to keep trying other bread recipes.

Ingredients
• 1 1/4 cups warm water
• 1/2 package dry yeast - 1 1/8 tsp.  - I just used a little less than 1 1/4 tsp.
• 1/4 cup honey
• 1/4 cup brown sugar
• 1/2 stick butter
• 1/4 tsp. salt
• 3/4 cup wheat flour
• 3/4 cup dry oatmeal
• 2 cups bread flour

Directions
Let yeast soak in warm water until it foams (5-10 minutes).  Combine brown sugar and butter.  Add honey and continue to mix.  Mix in water and yeast, salt, flours, and oats.  Mix with dough hook until it is evenly mixed.  Flour a surface and hands for kneading.  Knead 7-10 minutes or until dough is smooth   (I'm not sure I'll ever know what that means - I knead usually a couple minutes longer that I'm supposed to because I feel like I'm not very good at it - can you knead too much?)  Let bread rise until doubled in size, punch down and shape into loaves.  Let double in size again.  Bake at 375° 30-35 minutes or until crusty and brown on top.


*When I knead the dough I tend to add lots of flour because it is so sticky.  I made this twice and added about 1/2 cup of extra wheat flour each time.  Next time I'll probably leave about 1/2 cup out of the recipe and purposely add that much when kneading so that I stay closer to the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment