Thursday, March 10, 2011

Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo


Looking around on the food network website the other day I found this page, which disgusted me with the amount of fat and calories in a typical fettuccine alfredo.  From there I found some links for "light" versions  and used one of those recipes (this one).  Alfredo sauce is easy to make and you do not need to use heavy cream for it... you probably already have all of the ingredients in your fridge!

The only problem was that there wasn't enough sauce.  I made a whole box of fettuccine which was enough for us to have hefty portions for 2 days.  The second day I made an extra recipe of sauce.  I would suggest making 1 1/2 times the recipe or just doubling it for sauce.  There could also probably be more chicken.  Considering it made about 4 servings, I might use 3-4 chicken breasts.  I also used 1% milk and eliminated the half and half from the recipe. 

 Here's how I adapted:  (Makes 4 large servings)

4 chicken tenders (or 2 chicken breasts) (I'd use more next time)
2 stalks of broccoli
1 box of fettuccine
Sauce:
2 Tbsp. butter
1 cup milk (I used 1%)
1 1/2 tsp. cornstarch
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
Garlic powder
Parsley

Turn water on to boil for pasta.  Cook chicken in a pan with a little bit of oil.  If desired, cut up chicken into small pieces.  Chop broccoli and put in a pot with just enough water to cover the bottom.  Put on the lid and put the pot on med-low for 6 minutes or until broccoli is soft.  Set aside chicken and broccoli.
Begin cooking pasta and sauce.  For sauce: Melt butter over medium heat.  Add milk and mix until hot.  Whisk in cornstarch until mixture begins to thicken.  Add parmesan cheese and continue to heat and mix until desired consistency.  Sprinkle in garlic powder and parsley.  
Drain pasta and dump pasta and sauce into large pot.  Mix in chicken and broccoli.  If chicken and broccoli are no longer hot, put the lid on and let it sit on low for 2 minutes or until it's hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment