Saturday, April 2, 2011

Taco night and refried beans

I really enjoy tacos.  I had some hard shells and decided to pre-make them before Nick got home from work so that all we'd have to do is open them up, eat 'em, and throw away the foil.  I didn't completely think through what would happen when I did this.  So I took some shells, put some refried beans on the bottom, meat, cheese, lettuce... then wrapped them real nice in foil and stuck them in the oven for about 20 minutes on 200°.

Taco Bell usually disgusts me... so this reminding me of Taco Bell was not good.  Did you know if you fill a hard taco shell with some fixins and wrap it up and let it sit in the oven it will get mushy - like a soft shell?  Nick liked this... I did not.  Sometimes I just don't think things through... then they make sense later.

Anyway, I made some refried bean dip.  You can eat it as a dip with chips or as a side dish.  We ended up only putting it in the tacos and not eating any plain.  It was good.  We're planning to eat tacos again to use up the rest of our shells (and eat them how I like, as hard tacos...) so we will eat it then.  If you like refried beans I would recommend it.  If not, probably not.

The recipe is from the Tasty Kitchen blog, and can be linked to here.  It takes the beans and makes them into a creamier bean mix.

I need to go grocery shopping (translation: I did not have all of the ingredients) so I just threw some things into a pot with the beans and heated.  If I were to make this again I would probably use cream cheese since that's what the original recipe calls for.

Refried bean dip:
1 can refried beans
1 heaping tablespoon sour cream
1 tsp. taco seasoning
1 tsp. sugar
sprinkle garlic powder to taste
pinch salt
1/4 cup chicken broth


Source: Tasty kitchen recipies, from CindyLu,
http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/recipes/sidedishes/mexican-refried-beansdip/

No comments:

Post a Comment