Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Broccoli Cheese Soup

It's quite possible I ate half the bowl before I took this picture.
I really really like broccoli cheese soup.  I made it in a crockpot a while ago and it wasn't creamy, so it wasn't that great.  To make sure this was better, I consulted a number of recipes.  And also... I added as much cheddar cheese as I had.  And I probably would have added more if I had it to add!  This is the recipe, just as I did it, and it was very good... but like I said, we like cheese here... it can never hurt to add more!  And I added the cheddar cheese soup to get some extra cheese flavor... I might next time just add more cheese and a tad more milk.

Broccoli Cheddar Soup:
Ingredients:
2 cups water
1 lb. broccoli (I used a frozen bag)
2 chicken bullion cubes
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. garlic salt

1 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. flour
2 cups milk
1 can Campbell's cheddar cheese soup
4 oz. Velveeta
3/4 cup cheddar cheese


Directions:
Begin by putting water and broccoli into a large pot and cooking on medium until broccoli is soft.

While broccoli is cooking, melt 1 Tbsp. butter in a small pot.  Add flour and whisk for about 2 minutes. Whisk in milk and cheddar cheese soup.  Cook until soup is dissolved.  Cut Velveeta into small pieces and add 4 oz. Velveeta and 3/4 cup cheddar cheese to the small pot.  Stir until completely melted.

Bring your large pot to a boil and add bullion cubes.  Stir until they are dissolved.  Then get a potato masher and mash up your broccoli until it looks like a weird green mess, like this.


You can decide how much you want your broccoli mashed and how big of broccoli pieces you like in your soup.  Pour the cheese mixture into the large pot and stir until it looks uniform.  Add 1/2 tsp. onion powder and 1/2 tsp. garlic salt.  Let simmer at least 10 minutes before serving.

Sources: ideas from The Pioneer Woman Tasty Kitchen blogAnnie's eats, and Campbell's Kitchen shared recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment