Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Beef, Mushroom, and Noodle Soup



This soup was surprisingly good.  I think it's because I rarely eat soup like this.  Maybe if I ate soup like this more often it wouldn't have been as exciting for me.  I definitely recommend it.  It's kind of like a beef stroganoff in a soup form.

I think the only thing that I changed in this recipe was to add extra noodles.  I added 3 cups of uncooked noodles instead of the 2 cups of uncooked noodles the recipe called for.  We liked it like this, but if you'd rather have more broth, 2 cups might be better for you.  Oh, also, my cheap beef broth substitution of bullion cubes.

Also, if you prefer, drain off the fat after cooking the meat.  I was afraid of losing flavor, so I didn't, but it would probably look a little better.

Beef, Mushroom, and Noodle Soup
• 2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
• 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped (1/2 cup)
• 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
• 1 8 oz. package sliced fresh mushrooms (3 cups)
• 1 1/2 lb. beef boneless top sirloin steak, cut into bit sized pieces
• 6 c. beef flavored broth
• 1/2 cup dry sherry or beef flavored broth
• 1/4 c. ketchup
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/8 teaspoon pepper
• 3 cups uncooked egg noodles
• 8 oz. sour cream

In a 5 to 6 quart dutch oven, melt butter over medium-high heat.  Add onion, garlic, and mushrooms.  Cook 5-6 minutes, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are cooked.

Stir in beef.  Cook 7-8 minutes, stirring frequently, until beef is no longer pink.

Stir in remaining ingredients except noodles and sour cream.  Heat to boiling.  Reduce heat to med-low.  Cover and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Stir in the noodles.  Cover and cook 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until noodles are tender.

Stir in sour cream.  Cook 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until well blended.

Source: Carrie's Sweet Life

No comments:

Post a Comment