Monday, September 19, 2011

Cooking Strange Leafy Veggies Part 2: Eating and disguising greens

When we started this whole CSA thing I didn't know what I was going to do with all of my greens.  There was that first recipe that I posted (see here), then after that we just ate them sauteed for a while, sometimes with pine nuts, and/or crasins (recipe here).  Well, here is a list of suggestions for what to do with your greens, including a few ways to disguise them to help get your husband or family to eat them!  If we join the CSA again next year I will be looking back at this list...


Suggestions for Kale, Swiss Chard... etc. 


•  Throw it in a skillet with some other veggies and meat and have that be your whole meal.  I liked my sausage and potatoes dish.  



•  Sautee them with some garlic, and if you want add some toasted pine nuts and raisins (I use craisins because I like them better...)  Click on the picture above for a link to a recipe.


•  Put in veggie soup!  I didn't actually do this, but what a great idea! Nick's cousin Debbie suggested this to me.
Edit: Or try this recipe from The Pioneer Woman - similar to Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana


•  Stir fry!  I enjoy making an occasional stir fry.  We had a shrimp stir fry the other day that pretty much used all the rest of our veggies.  Broccoli, green and red peppers, onions, garlic, greens, and carrots.


•  We really enjoyed this eggplant dish.  The pasta sauce was a good place to hide the greens.  Which leads me to my next idea...


•  Add all of your veggies to your pasta sauce and eat with your favorite pasta!


•  Kale chips - haven't made these, but there are a ton of recipes for them online!  



Swiss Chard with Garbanzo Beans and Fresh Tomatoes Recipe
•  Really want to make this - Swiss chard with garbanzo beans and fresh tomatoes 


Have any more ideas for greens?  Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment