Monday, August 8, 2011

Pesto Mushroom Pizza


Since I made pesto a few weeks ago I have been itching to make a pizza with it.  A box of mushrooms (from the CSA, of course) gave me a reason to do it.  Definitely don't be shy with the mushrooms for this!

I have been seeing this on other blogs all summer (hence the cravings for it) but didn't really use any of those recipes.  I have been using a recipe for pizza dough from my cousin's blog for a while now.  I like it better than the one from Buddy Valastro that was maybe my first blog post because this one is easier to stretch without tearing holes and makes a little thicker crust.  Still, we tend to have odd shaped pizzas.  Any tips for stretching them better?

Also, we have been grilling pizzas ever since the weather has allowed and will continue as long as the weather allows.  If you have a grill and have not yet grilled a pizza... seriously, try it!  Nick is in charge of grilling... so if I make the crust and help take toppings outside he takes over.  When he grills pizza he wipes the grate with olive oil, then slides if off of our giant cutting board onto the grill.  After one side cooks just a little (maybe for 2 minutes) he'll take it off and put it on the cutting board, cooked side up.  Then we add toppings, slide it back on the grill, and cook it until the cheese melts and we think it's done enough.



Pesto Mushroom Pizza
• Pizza Crust
• Mushrooms (a pound?)
• 3/4 cup - 1 cup of pesto
• 2 Cups mixed provolone/mozzarella cheese

Sautee mushrooms in olive oil.  Grill crust as directed above.  Remove from heat and add pesto and mushrooms.  Top with cheese.  Grill until heated and cheese is melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment